Sun24 is a nonprofit that works with Catholic dioceses in Africa, distributing solar lights to families without electricity.
1.3 billion people in developing countries live without electricity. Most use crude kerosene lamps for light.
- In 2 years (the minimum lifespan of a solar light), one crude kerosene lamp damages the climate as much as driving 4,250 miles in a typical American passenger vehicle. Black carbon emissions from kerosene lamps have recently been found to be a HUGE contributor to climate change. (Article on kerosene lamps)
- Inhaling the indoor toxic black smoke is roughly equivalent to each family member smoking a cigarette a day, causing lung and eye problems. (Article on the health impacts of kerosene lamps)
- Fires related to fuel lamps kill 1 million people each year.
- Accidental ingestion of kerosene is the leading cause of child poisoning in the developing world.
- These families live in extreme poverty and can easily spend 20% of their income on fuel for lighting.
- Students with kerosene lamps have only half the study time as those with solar lamps.
A simple $4 solar light can replace a family’s dependence on unhealthy, dangerous and costly kerosene lamps. Charging the lamp during the day gives over 4 hours of clean, bright, high-quality light at night.
Sun24 works with Catholic parishes in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya to distribute solar lights to both Catholic and non-Catholic families without electricity.
Results So Far
Sun24, working with numerous Catholic dioceses in Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Democratic Republic of Congo and Guatemala, has distributed over 210,000* solar lights to families without electricity.
We are developing a distribution model using the vast Catholic Church infrastructure to distribute solar lights worldwide to all families without electricity, regardless of religious affiliation. Need, not creed.
|211,700*||Solar lights distributed to-date||Impact of One $4 Solar Light|
|931,480||People using our lights||4.4 people|
|381,060||Tonnes of emissions averted (CO2 equivalent)**||1.8 tonnes (metric tons)|
|899,725,000||Averted miles driven by a typical American car (equivalent)**||4,250 miles|
|7,621,200||Dollars saved by poor African families (cost of kerosene)||36 USD|
|444,570||People experiencing better health (lungs and eyes)||2.1 people|
|110,084,000||Extra hours of study time||520 hours|
* Includes lights ordered but not yet distributed.
** For climate change impacts, we multiplied GOGLA standards by 2.5 because GOGLA assumes that about ⅔ of the displaced kerosene lamps are hurricane style lamps. We distribute in the poorest, most remote areas where crude simple-wick lamps (open flame) are used almost exclusively. Simple-wick lamps are over ten times more polluting than hurricane lamps.
“There are no magic bullets that will solve all of our greenhouse gas problems, but replacing kerosene lamps is low-hanging fruit, and we don’t have many examples of that in the climate world.”Kirk R. Smith
If you’d like to be involved in our work, we’d be delighted to hear from you.
With every $4 you donate, you give a solar lamp to a family, replacing a filthy, dangerous kerosene lamp. (Sun24 has no paid staff and almost no overhead. All donations go directly to the purchase of solar lights.)
Sun24 is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization.
Or, send your check to:
Sun24, Inc., 1815 W. Jetton Ave., Tampa, FL 33606