1.3 billion people in developing countries live without electricity. Most use crude kerosene lamps for light.
- In 2 years (the minimum lifespan of a solar light), one crude kerosene lamp damages the climate as much as driving 4,250 miles in a typical American passenger vehicle. Black carbon emissions from kerosene lamps have recently been found to be a HUGE contributor to climate change. (Article on kerosene lamps)
- Inhaling the indoor toxic black smoke is roughly equivalent to each family member smoking a cigarette a day, causing lung and eye problems. (Article on the health impacts of kerosene lamps)
- Fires related to fuel lamps kill 1 million people each year.
- Accidental ingestion of kerosene is the leading cause of child poisoning in the developing world.
- These families live in extreme poverty and can easily spend 20% of their income on fuel for lighting.
- Students with kerosene lamps have only half the study time as those with solar lamps.
A simple $4 solar light can replace a family’s dependence on unhealthy, dangerous and costly kerosene lamps. Charging the lamp during the day gives over 4 hours of clean, bright, high-quality light at night.
Sun24 works with Catholic parishes in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya to distribute solar lights to both Catholic and non-Catholic families without electricity.
Results So Far
Sun24, working with numerous Catholic parishes in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya, has distributed over 162,000* solar lights to families without electricity.
We are developing a distribution model using the vast Catholic Church infrastructure to distribute solar lights worldwide to all families without electricity, regardless of religious affiliation. Need, not creed.
|162,500*||Solar lights distributed to-date||Impact of One $4 Solar Light|
|715,000||People using our lights||4.4 people|
|292,500||Tonnes of emissions averted (CO2 equivalent)**||1.8 tonnes (metric tons)|
|690,625,000||Averted miles driven by a typical American car (equivalent)**||4,250 miles|
|5,850,000||Dollars saved by poor African families (cost of kerosene)||36 USD|
|341,250||People experiencing better health (lungs and eyes)||2.1 people|
|84,500,000||Extra hours of study time||520 hours|
* Includes lights ordered but not yet distributed.
** For climate change impacts, we multiplied GOGLA standards by 2.5 because GOGLA assumes that about ⅔ of the displaced kerosene lamps are hurricane style lamps. We distribute in the poorest, most remote areas where crude simple-wick lamps are used almost exclusively. Simple-wick lamps are over ten times more polluting hurricane lamps.
If you’d like to be involved in our work, we’d be delighted to hear from you.
With every $4 you donate, you give a solar lamp to a family, replacing a filthy, dangerous kerosene lamp. (Sun24 has no paid staff and almost no overhead. All donations go directly to the purchase of solar lights.)
Sun24 is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization.
Or, send your check to:
Sun24, Inc., 1815 W. Jetton Ave., Tampa, FL 33606